Cyber Security Insurance
Discover a guided, personalized approach to managing your wealth with STS Wealth
Cyber Security Insurance
Cyber security insurance is the new age policy which tries to safeguard online users from online criminal acts. Net banking, social networking and online shopping are some of the daily activities performed by Indian users over the internet.
The increasing use of the internet is also increasing the users’ risk to become a victim of thefts, hacking, cyber stalking and digital fraud. Keeping all this scenario in mind, today the demand for cyber security insurance is going up.
Types Of Cyber Security Insurance
This insurance can be classified under two headings:
Individual Cyber Security Insurance: It is meant for the daily online users. The policy covers risks associated with fraudulent activities like identity theft, malware attacks, cyber stalking, IT theft loss and social media liabilities.
Cyber Liability Insurance: It covers cyber risks associated with IT firms. It is an IT firm’s liability when it stores customers’ personal and financial data on the servers.
What All Cyber Security Insurance Covers?
Cyber security insurance coverage can be classified under the following heads:
How Does Cyber Security Insurance Functions?
Applying for cyber security and getting the coverage is an easy process. Let us understand how it works:
- Submit an application for the insurance
- Inform the nature of risk to be covered
- After analysing the risks, the insurance company discusses the coverage, terms and conditions with the insurers
- After these are settled, the insurer asks for a proposal from the policy seeker
- The proposal along with the required documents are submitted to the insurance company
- The policy is structured and handed over to the policy holder
- In case of any eventuality, the insured informs the insurance company about the same
- Documents and evidence are submitted to the insurer
- An investigator validates the claim and sends the report to the insurer
- If the claim is as per the policy, the compensation is provided to the claimant
- Else, the claim is rejected and the same is informed to the claimant
- If the claimant is not satisfied with the resolution, arbitration can be arranged
Anyone above the age of 18 years can buy the cyber security insurance policy.
- Claim needs to be submitted within 90 days
- Claim must be submitted in written format
- Required evidence of loss must be submitted to the company
- An investigator from the insurance company verifies the claim
- If the claim is according to the policy, the compensation is paid to the beneficiary account
- If the claim is rejected, the same is informed to the claimant
- The claimant may ask for arbitration, if the resolution is not satisfactory
- Forensic reports
- Duly filled in claim form
- Screenshots of findings
- Details and evidence of loss like dates, acts or circumstances, people involved and mitigating practices
- Dishonest or improper conduct of the insured which led to the claim
- Physical injury caused due to cyber attack
- Property damage caused by cyber attack
- Unsolicited communications by the policy holder
- Mechanical failure, standard depreciation, electrical disturbance and media failure or malfunction
- HDFC Ergo
- Bajaj Allianz
- SBI General
- If a claim falls under multiple insurance clauses, compensation can be claimed only for one
- Cyber security insurance can be extended to cover risks occurring at any location across the world
- If the company does not delete the access to sensitive data for employees no longer a part of the organisation, the insurance company might not approve the claim in case of cyber crime
- To get a cyber security insurance, the company must have a written data protection/information security policy
- The antivirus, anti-spyware and anti-malware software should be updated regularly
- First party and third party liability coverage
- Covers Cyber hacking and cyber attack incidents
- Helps firms cover cost of legal proceedings